SSSRA provides cooperative recreation opportunities for all ages of individuals with disabilities in the Olympia Fields Park District and in nine other adjacent park districts and recreational departments. www.sssra.org
Irons Oaks is owned and operated jointly by the Olympia Fields Park District and the Homewood-Flossmoor Park District. A unique park, Irons Oaks Environmental Learning Center is committed to preserving the beautiful oak forest and quality open spaces of over 37 acres. On an annual basis, over 25,000 individuals of all ages have participated in the diverse activities associated with the park. The Irons Oaks adventure Center allows individuals to explore the challenge of the teams course, the high-ropes course, as well as the 50' climbing walls. Archaeology classes, pioneer camps, canoe trips, wreath making, cross country skiing, nature photography classes, and many more opportunities both on and off site are available. As its recreational and environmental educational opportunities expand, do take advantage of this beautiful nature park. www.ironsoaks.com
The Irons Oaks Foundation was established to support Irons Oaks projects that the museum could otherwise not afford. To this end, the Foundation has established community programs, services and other funding mechanisms to fund special projects at Irons Oaks. www.ironsoaks.com
Programs, services and funding mechanisms include the following:
- Special event programs including Lunch with a Raccoon,
a popular event for area families.
- Active participation in community celebrations and environmental fairs.
- Active participation in national parks awareness campaigns.
- Native landscaping memorial recognition.
- Foundation membership services (over 150 current members).
- Publication of a bi-annual newsletter.
- Annual giving campaigns from our membership and community organizations.
- Fundraising campaigns.
Foundation contributions to Irons Oaks have funded several special projects, including:
- Prairie, Pond and Wetland Habitat Improvement Projects
- Land Acquisition Projects
- Open Space Enhancement (Structure Demolition, Therapy Garden,
- Renovation and Construction of Wildlife Viewing Areas)